Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Make Your Own Kids Book

Now this is something I found on Pinterest that I changed a little to fit my needs. Here is the link for that post! It is idea number 5.

But basically it is just a way to make your own book for infant/toddlers. It is cheap and if you have to throw it away, no biggie.

I decided I was going to make an animal book for Colton, because he LOVES The Lion King. So I thought it would be cute if I did an African Animal book.
Here is what you need:
I printed off pictures of African animals from google images and cut them out. I grabbed scotch tape, 4x6 index cards, and markers. Pictured is sandwich bags, but i ended up using CONTACT PAPER.

I taped the pictures onto individual index cards, and the educator in me wrote some facts about the animal on the back of each card :)

I then used contact paper to make each card waterproof and drool proof. (This is where the original post used sandwich baggies. But my little guy has sharp teeth and he would be eating the plastic in minutes. So i decided on contact paper!)

Cut it down so there isn't too much extra contact paper hanging off each card. Decide what order you want the cards in. Then use tape or contact paper, I used contact paper, to bind the book. 

I first did the entire book, which really only held the first and last pages, then I put contact paper in between each pages individually. Putting it in between each of the pages helps to reinforce the binding of the book. It really keeps it together. 

This was my finished product:

I didn't really think it through how the pages would look, because as pictured about it says Lion and has a picture of a giraffe on the next page. I think if I made another I would plan it out better and have the picture correspond with the text. But I think it works for the purpose he will use it for.

The most important part: He seemed to enjoy it!


So that's that. Hope you enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment